Every other week a small group from our church gathers together in homes to break bread with glad and sincere hearts, (and lot of laughter thanks to the lightly controlled chaos made by the dozen or so kiddos we have running around!)
Somewhere around our second or third gathering we discovered that we are a group of foodies, and so we began to design our bi-weekly potlucks around themes. Whomever is hosting sets the theme, and then everyone pitches in!
Last Advent, (and every single one since 2013, forever and ever amen) I was missing my Nana, and her amazing Christmas Eve spread, so I asked to host our early December gathering, and set the theme of Retro Cocktail Party (light on the cocktails, heavy on the cocktail food) and everyone brought their favorite appetizers – retro inspired if possible.
My contribution was Nana’s infamous Shrimp Tree, and her Tuna Ball. (And I used her vintage Christmas tablecloth to decorate) Others brought goodies such as pinwheels, pigs-in-blankets, deviled eggs and more. Plus tons of sweet treats. It was delicious and I cannot wait to host again this year.
Nana’s Tuna Ball Recipe for Christmas Eve
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions.
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Dash salt.
- 1 can tuna drained and flaked.
- Note: You may want to add a second can of tuna if you want it to be more tuna-y. Just taste after you mix it together and decide.
- Mix together all the ingredients with a blender.
- Form into a ball and wrap tightly in plastic.
- Refrigerate one to two hours.
- Serve with crackers (my Nana always served them with Chicken in a Biskt’s)
Leave a Reply