Farmer’s Market Savory Bread Pudding
Farmer's Market Bread Pudding
Author: Jerusalem Jackson Greer
Recipe type: Side or Vegetarian Main Dish
Serves: 8 servings
This is one of our families all-time favorite side-dishes, but it can also be a main dish for vegetarians. I change-up the veggies to whatever is in season, whatever we have in the garden, or can find at our wonderful Farmer's Markets. I posted this forever ago (which explains most of the less-than-steallar-images,) and I thought since Farmer's Market season is upon us I would share it again! The recipe was inspired by a similar one by Katie Brown, and the first time I posted it I did so in honor of a local market that was opening in our old town. A lot has changed since then, but the recipe is still the same and just as good (or better!)
- 1 Zucchini, sliced. Each slice about ¼ inch thick.
- 1 Yellow Squash, sliced. Each about ¼ inch thick.
- ½ cup of Corn - frozen or fresh-cut off the cob
- 3 cups fresh Spinach or Kale ( I think Kale taste the best!) chopped
- 1 cup Red Onion, diced.
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 5 cups Sourdough bread, cubed (really any day old or leftover, crusty artisan bread will work.)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Sage, chopped
- (May substitute 3 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning for fresh herbs.)
- 1 cup of Swiss Cheese (Mozzarella and Cheddar will work in a pinch.)
- 2 cups 2% Milk (or for a richer dish use 1 cup Cream, 1 cup Whole Milk)
- 6 Eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of Walnuts, chopped
- 3-5 tbsp of Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 2 quart baking dish and set aside OR you can make this dish in a enamel cast iron baking dish from stove top to oven.
- Cook all the veggies and garlic in olive oil (3-5 tbsp.) over medium head in a skillet or in a cast iron baking dish for about 3 minutes or until the veggies become semi-translucent.
- Remove veggies from heat and stir in bread, ½ cup of the cheese, and all the herbs.
- Transfer all of this to a well-greased baking dish (if you are using 2 pans)
- Make sure mixture is spread evenly in dish.
- In a separate bowl whisk together, 2 cups 2% Milk (or for a richer dish use 1 cup cream, 1 cup milk), 6 eggs, salt and pepper to taste
- Next, pour egg/milk mixture over bread and veggies
- Cover with another ½ cup of cheese and walnuts
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes - Hour, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.